Technological Approaches in Gerontological Nursing
Intensive Course for Nordman Network partner institutions
Where? Åland University of Applied Sciences. Åland, Finland.
When? 18th to 22nd of May 2015 (Sunday 17th and Friday 22nd of May are travel days).
What? You will develop your understanding and knowledge that exist in the field of gerotechnology. You will gain a broad understanding of the evolution and needs of gerotechnology and together examine the challenges for nurses in the health and social welfare technology that exist in this time of globalization and fast technology development. You will also increase you multicultural understanding and knowledge.
The course provides 3 ECTS; scheduled days (1,5 ECTS), pre- and post-course assignments (1,5 ECTS). The course is conducted in English. We work with blended learning, mixing up different learning methods.
For whom? You are preferably a 3rd or 4th year nursing student from one of the partner schools. You are successful in your studies, communicate well and will take an active part in the course.
The framework for the course is blended learning which refers to a mixing of different learning environments. It is a learning method that combines e-learning and social media with other forms of flexible learning and more traditional forms of learning such as contact classes. Team teaching and social networking platform will be used during the course in order to share intercultural knowledge about the topic and teaching methods. All students are divided into mixed working groups during the intensive course.
On completion of the course you will be able to:
- Discuss cultural aspects of gerotehcnology
- Describe the field of gerotechnology; what it is and what it is not
- Reproduce an overview of current technological developments and innovations applied in care of older people
- Identify the role/effectiveness of gerotechnology in caring for older people, in current and future technological society
- Identify the role/position of older people in the context of changing technological, sociocultural and economic environment
- Describe difference in needs of technology related to different end-user groups; older people, relatives, NGOs, professional care givers and health care organizations
- Identify the challenges associated with the implementation of gerotechnology, and identify possible interventions to the challenges
- Take an active part ethical discussions about technological approaches in gerontological nursing
- Take into account the effects and opportunities of internationalization and be able to create international networks and partnerships throughout the course
Dalarna University College (Sweden)
Mälardalen University (Sweden)
Sophiahemmet University (Sweden)
Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences (Finland)
Lithuanian University of Health Science (Lithuania)
Riga Stradins University (Latvia)
Tartu Health Care College (Estonia)
VIA University College (Denmark)
Åland University of Applied Sciences (Åland, Finland)
Selection of students are made within the different partner institutions. The course is supported by Nordplus Higher Education Program. If you are interested to participate, plase take contact with the person(s) responible for Nordplus program at your institution or the local contact person within the Nordman network. Students approved by partner schools can apply for Nordplus Express mobility grant of 330 EUR/student to cover travel costs as well as other additional costs. Please, use the Nordplus application form.
You plan and book the travels on your own.You prefarably check in at the hotel on Sunday 17th of May. Earliest departure is Friday 22nd of May at 13:00.
Accommodation (part in double room) will be booked by the organisers and accommodation costs are covered by Nordplus Higher Education Program. Questions on accommodation are addressed to
Lunches are provided free of charge for the participants, also the dinners and social programme that are arranged as shown in a separate timetable. Any food allergies/special requirements are addressed to Lena.Nyman-Wiklund[at]ha.ax
You need to get travel and health insurance for your travel to/from Åland as well covering your stay in Åland. Please, take contact with your insurance company for these matters.